Absorption

Do you ever take the time to stop and look around you? To hear the birds? To see the tears? To just absorb? try it once in a while. Everything in this blog is what I absorb. What I notice. What I step back from the crowd to observe. Try it. See where you get.

Friday 16 May 2008

Sonnet

I've decided, that since I constantly send sonnet's your way, and you've been kind enough to read them, I should try to explain them. That way if any of you have to write sonnets (And I know some of you already have.) then you a reference point. I won't go into the history of sonnet's since I'm pretty sure none of you want that. So to get straight into the basics of it there are two forms of sonnet. An Italian sonnet, and a Shakespearean sonnet. However, both forms of sonnet share similiar things. Both, consist of 14 lines. Generally, the first eight lines set up a problem, that is resolved in the final 6 lines, although that is not always necessary. However, that is where the similarities end.

Shakespearean sonnet appears as one full 16 line stanza (verse). However, the Italian sonnet consists of 2 sections - the octave (8 lines.) and the setset (6 lines.) The Shakespearean sonnet also has a different rhyming structure to the Italian version. The Shakespearean rhyming structure is: a-b-a-b-c-d-c-d-e-f-e-f-g-g. Each letter, rhymes with itself. Therefore the first line rhymes with the third as both are A, the second and the fourth rhyme as they are both B as so on and so on. the Italian sonnet, the rhyming structure is different. it follows the pattern a-b-b-a-a-b-b-a and then the setset can have three different rhyming endings: c-d-e-c-d-e or c-d-c-c-d-c or c-d-c-d-c-d.

The other thing, that is crucially important to composing a sonnet, and the reason why it is difficult to write one is the syllable count. Each line must be made up of only ten syllables. In each sonnet, it is understood, that the poet may use eleven syllables in one line only. Therefore a line such as:

God has abandoned us to this dark black, is correct as there is 10 syllables.

God has abandoned us to this hated black, is correct, if used only once, because there is 11 syllables.

God has abandoned us to this dark, is wrong because there is 9 syllables.

God has abandoned us to this pitch dark night time is wrong because there is 12 syllables.

You'll notice, my sonnets are a mix of the two, with the rhyming structure of the Shakespearean sonnet and the length of stanzas from the Italian sonnet. So, if you follow this, you should be able to create a sonnet, with ease. Or as easily as is possible at least. If you take a look back over my other sonnets you'll notice that they follow this always. Thanks for reading this. I know it's a long and probably boring read, but I think it's good to share something you know with other people.
If you feel the urge to write a sonnet then write it, and send it to me. I love to read other people's poetry!
Anyway, thanks for reading.

No comments: