Absorption

Do you ever take the time to stop and look around you? To hear the birds? To see the tears? To just absorb? try it once in a while. Everything in this blog is what I absorb. What I notice. What I step back from the crowd to observe. Try it. See where you get.

Thursday 8 May 2008

The Devil's Sea

This next post, is the second in my group of 6 poems. It was written as a reply to a poem a friend had written, describing a wife's lament for her love, who was sent out to war. The title, comes from the old phrase "Trapped between the devil and the deep blue sea." Enjoy.

I miss her, unbelievably so
And each night I prayed that I wouldn't have to go
But my country needed me
Needed us all, to destroy the foe.
Or else, she could never be free.

Does she understand?
Why I had to let go of her hand,
and venture into lands unknown?
It wasn't meant - wasn't planned
I didn't want to leave her, all alone.

The night I left, her tears fell fast,
I held her tight, the hug our last.
A moment so tough, I couldn't forget
though so much time, has passed.
Then I'm gone. Leaving but a silhouette.

My thought's now stray,
so far away
to a time that burns intense.
My heart was torn,
My beloved, forlorn
A time that made no sense.

They knocked the door, the crack of dawn.
And with their words, left my love withdrawn.
I was "given orders", that I chose to ignore.
All of it lies, pure lies! But that is foregone.
For the sun is rising, and I am no more.

I cannot speak, for she cannot hear
I shouldn't have left, I should’ve stayed
She is lost, the world no longer clear
I am but a ghost - I cannot aid.


No comments: